The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Monday, December 25, 2017

Hallmark Channel


For John, BLUFYes, Hallmark Channel does contribute to diabetes in the flyover states.  Nothing to see here; just move along.




From Town Hall and Mr Matt Vespa, 23 December 2017.

Here is the lede of Mr Vespa's critique:

When it comes to entertainment, I’m really not in the cultural conservative camp.  I watch what I want to watch, whether that is Game of Thrones or Rocko’s Modern Life.  Yes, I like action movies.  Yes, I like bloody horror films.  Yes, the bloodier and gorier, the better in that category.  Around Christmas time, yes, I will confess I sometimes watch a Hallmark Christmas movie.  They’re cheesy.  All aspects about it are too good to be true, but to get into the season and to take a break from my usual viewing of graphic violence, I’ve seen worse.  Apparently, though—it’s very problematic because everyone is white, there are no feminists, no Muslims, and the male leads have white nationalist haircuts—whatever that means.  It’s your typical contrarian drivel from Slate, a Washington Post-affiliated site.  Oh, and the areas with the strongest viewership are in states where Trump won.  I smell collusion.  I smell propaganda, right?  No, I actually don’t because I’m not a progressive, but the analysis is quite entertaining.
Here is the original article:

The Hallmark Channel’s 21-movie fusillade in the War on Christmas is a ratings sensation.  I’m watching it all to find out why.

The author of this Slate article is Mr Zachary Jason and the date was 12 December 2017.

Before you think that Mr Vespa is just another "White Guy", picking on Mr Jason, go look at his picture.  This is a chap who could be rejected by Harvard based on his race.

There is the question of why Mr Jason thinks Hallmark Channel should be doing something different, given that it is doing a good job meeting the interests of a broad audience.  While some have kneed the NFL, tumbling its attendance and ratings, the Hallmark Channel is soaring.  And the reason is it meets a need.  I have a very progressive friend, and she likes watching Hallmark Channel stories, because they have happy endings.

We hear a lot about the evils of cultural appropriation, so why does Mr Jason wish to change this American small town non-coastal vision of life and Christmas?

Then there is the accusation of Blacks who "exist only to cheer on the dreams of the white leads".  Yes, most of the actors are Caucasians (is that word too hard for people to spell?), but it is not like Blacks do not show up in some responsible positions.  Yes, not the stars, but running the local inn, managing a star's professional life, MCing the gingerbread contest.

This Slate article is just more of the guerrilla warfare against Christmas.  Sad.  Very sad.

Hat tip to the InstaPundit.

Regards  —  Cliff

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! Exactly what rock did this person (man) crawl out from under? I am having difficulty believing that he actually had the nerve to even write this letter, let alone admit who he is. Does he not realize that the Hallmark channel has been around for quite a few years? I am not sure how many but I know it has been much longer than the last election when President Trump became a commonly used name, frequently used in a negative manor as this person has done. I could elaborate a lot more but I won't. Plus, by now, I'm well aware of the fact that this is an old letter. I've been without a computer for a long time and just trying to visit some sites that I've been wanting to check out. I just couldn't help myself from commenting.

Thanks for listening,
Sharon Johnson