The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Cost of College

The chart at this post is sickening.  I say that because I purchase college textbooks, and usually two sets, one for my wife and one for myself.  In addition, my daughter is frequently asking me to buy her this or that math textbook.

The cost of textbooks is flat-out expensive.  The cost is so high that one wonders if there is some sort of market distortion.  One wonders why Rep Barney Frank has not looked into this.

But, never fear, the US Department of Justice has stepped in and stopped the use of Kindle books, getting Universities to stop experimenting with that cheaper alternative, at least until Amazon provides more "blind friendly" features.  And, funnily enough, when I wander through the book store on the South Campus, or the North, or downtown, I don't see prominent displays of devices to make books on paper easier for the handicapped to use.  It must be hidden somewhere.  In the mean time, a chance to run a little test flight of adapting a new technology to an old problem has been derailed because it is not yet ready to meet the needs of everyone in the nation.

Hat tip to Instapundit.

Regards  —  Cliff

PS:  In "labeling" this post I thought about "Administration", but I think the PC approach to squashing initiative is more of a perennial problem in the District of Columbia than something unique to the current Administration.

No comments: