The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Monday, November 9, 2009

New Recycling Bins

I got an EMail from Gunther about new green recycling bins being available for taking care of newspapers.  Since mine is turning silver from the hundred-mile-an-hour tape holding it together, I got a new bin.

I drove down to the DPW office at 1365 Merrimack Street and walked in the front door.  A nice lady by the name of Diane gave me a new bin and I was on my way.  Thanks, Diane.

For those wondering, this operation is just beyond Marginal Street and just before Merrimack Street and Pawtucket Street merge.

Other locations include City Hall and the Board of Health.

Do I care that they were stamped out in Canada?  Maybe a little bit, but Canada has been our partner through thick and thin for a while now and they are part of NAFTA.  But, that is a question for another day.  Today I am pleased with the way Lowell City Government supports the Citizens.

Regards  —  Cliff

5 comments:

Craig H said...

While you were there, did you ask Gunther why taxpayers downtown still do not enjoy the same recycling privileges? And did you have a chance to ask him wherever he gets his bizarre notion that collecting bins from a single building of 120 units is in any way cost-relative to collecting bins from 120 single family houses? And did you ask him why he didn't think the $15,000 he could be collecting from a building of 120 units (less the costs of sending a truck here once a week) wouldn't be useful in trying to make up some of the shortfall in the coming year's city budget?

ncrossland said...

When I was in my early youth, I have clear rememberances of taking bundles of newpapers, magazines, etc., to a huge warehouse and depositing those bundles on a loading dock. We did the same thing with "tin cans" and the early aluminum versions. The neat thing was that the city didn't have to pay a cent...which I assume was reflected in one's tax bill.

Now, if the government doesn't provide it, we won't do it.

I sort of wonder what connection this current philosphy has to our need for the "state" to provide us medical care, climate control, food, clothing, etc.....all while we decry Marxism. Maybe we want Marxism as long as we don't have to call it that ugly name.

BTW Cliff......speed tape is one of the most cost effective BDR tools ever developed......and a wonderful interim means of TO compliance. I know a few Thud drivers who flew Pack 6 with the well placed assistance of speed tape.

Regards,

Neal

C R Krieger said...

Gee, I just wanted to talk about my shiney new recycle bin.  I didn't want to start a range war.

I did, however, correct the spelling on Gunther's name.  And I did note that there might be some problems in downtown re trash and recycling.

Thanks

Regards  —  Cliff

ncrossland said...

Sorry Cliff......no range war....not even a local block war. Just musing about how times have changed.......and apparently how I have failed to transition with them.

Regards,

Neal

JoeS said...

Just so people don't get lost when trying to locate the DPW facility to get a bin, it is on Middlesex street, just before it intersects with the end of Pawtucket street.