The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Monday, July 27, 2009

Two Quotes on Declaration of Independence

Earlier in the month I received an EMail with a number of quotations on our Declaration of Independence.  Two I especially liked I have copied here.  The first is from John Adams, in a letter to Abigail Adams, 3 July 1776.
I am well aware of the toil, and blood, and treasure, that it will cost us to maintain this declaration, and support and defend these states.  Yet, through all the gloom, I can see the rays of light and glory; I can see that the end is more than worth all the means, and that posterity will triumph.
The second was given some 76 years later, by Frederick Douglass, in "What to the Slave is the Fourth of July?" (5 July 1852).
I have said that the Declaration of Independence is the ring-bolt to the chain of your nation's destiny; so, indeed, I regard it.  The principles contained in that instrument are saving principles.  Stand by those principles, be true to them on all occasions, in all places, against all foes, and at whatever cost.
I like the "ring-bolt reference.  To me it means a strong anchor.  I am sure for Frederick Douglass it also meant how slaves were chained down.  But, even so, he took the positive interpretation.  Great words.

Regards  —  Cliff

No comments: