The EU

Google says the EU requires a notice of cookie use (by Google) and says they have posted a notice. I don't see it. If cookies bother you, go elsewhere. If the EU bothers you, emigrate. If you live outside the EU, don't go there.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Jogging

I have never been a runner, and now I am a walker, but I have been a jogger. So, this story out of the Wall Street Journal attracted me.  The article "Running for Lean Times: It's no accident that jogging took off in the 1970s" tells us about jogging and suggests it is a "recession" form of exercise.

I bring it to your attention because of this paragraph
Of course, some people "jog" purely for fitness purposes and hate it.  This might explain why the French were recently in an uproar after photos surfaced of President Nicolas Sarkozy in shorts and a T-shirt breaking a sweat in the Tuileries.  Running is an American activity, the French press claimed, a fascistic act designed to manage and control the body.  Not an intellectual pursuit at all.  "It is about performance and individualism," one writer wrote, right-wing values antithetical to everything cherished by the country that gave us foie gras.
I think we undervalue the French as friends and allies, but they can sometimes be a little "stuffy."

Regards  —  Cliff

No comments: